The Mischer Neuroscience Institute is built on a foundation of collaboration between Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center and The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth) Medical School. The Houston neuroscience center brings together a team of world-class clinicians, researchers and educators whose insights and research findings are transforming the field of neuroscience. Patients come to the Institute from around the world for treatment of rare and common diseases of the brain and spinal cord.
Comprehensive Neurosurgery and Neurology in Texas
Part of the 13-hospital Memorial Hermann Health System, the Mischer Neuroscience Institute is the largest and most comprehensive neuroscience program in Texas. We currently perform more neurosurgical procedures than any other hospital system in Houston and are nationally recognized for leading-edge medicine. We are consistently ranked among quality benchmarking organizations as a leader in clinical quality and patient safety. The Institute was the first center in Texas and one of only a few institutions in the country to fully integrate neurology, neurosurgery, neuroradiology and neurorehabilitation through comprehensive, specialized treatment centers and close collaboration between all involved disciplines.
Innovation at the Institute
More than 4,600 procedures are performed in our surgical neuroscience suites annually. Among them are innovative techniques that were once unimaginable: resections of arteriovenous malformations that prevent life-threatening brain hemorrhage, the use of laser ablation to allow patients with epilepsy to lead productive lives, and Gamma Knife radiosurgery that makes treatment of brain tumors safer, quick, effective and painless.
At the Mischer Neuroscience Institute, we continually push the envelope in neurological and neurosurgical care in ways that are appropriate for the patients we treat. The Institute was:
- The first neurosurgery center to offer all advanced modalities of treatment – expert microsurgery, interventional neuroradiology/endovascular surgery and Gamma Knife® radiosurgery – for complex lesions
- The first Joint Commission-accredited Comprehensive Stroke Center in Houston
- The first in Houston and one of the first in the United States to test the clot-dissolving drug tPA for acute stroke
- The first center to conduct a national, multi-center trial for hypothermia in head injury
- The first in Texas to use robotic stereo encephalography (SEEG) for 3-D mapping of epileptic seizures
- One of the first centers in the nation to offer MR-guided laser interstitial thermal therapy (MRgLITT) using the Visualase™ system for the treatment of well-delineated focal epilepsies
Mischer Neuroscience Institute
6411 Fannin St
Houston, TX 77030
Mischer Neuroscience Associates
UT Physicians Neurology Clinic