Cancer Neurology Clinic
Physicians affiliated with Memorial Hermann Mischer Neuroscience Institute at the Texas Medical Center are skilled at providing world-class care for patients with tumors affecting the nervous system and with neurological complications of systemic cancer.
Scope of Services
Specialists evaluate and treat adult patients with a variety of disorders, including:
Nervous System Metastases
- Metastases of brain and spinal cord
- Meningeal metastases (meningeal carcinomatosis)
- Epidural metasases spinal cord compression
Nervous System Metastases/Neurologic Complications of Cancer
- Complications of cancer therapy (for example, chemotherapy- related neuropathies)
- Cancer-related seizures
- Cancer-related fatigue
- Opportunistic infections
- Stroke in cancer patients
The patient is the team’s focus. Complex cases are presented at a weekly multidisciplinary conference in order to determine the most appropriate treatment plan for each individual. As part of an academic referral center, the team of specialists has the ability to treat the rarest as well as the most common neuro-oncologic disorders. Because of the Institute’s research and teaching mission, the Clinic is also able to provide patients with the most specialized resources and advanced treatment methods such as:
- Leksell Gamma Knife® Perfexion™ stereotactic radiosurgery, which allows for multiple intracranial metastases to be treated in a single outpatient procedure
- A dedicated neurointensive care unit
- Advanced technologies such as motor and language mapping, functional neuroimaging and frameless stereotactic navigation
The team at the Cancer Neurology Clinic ensures that appropriate appointments are made quickly, usually within a couple of days. The team then works together to see patients, ensuring that appropriate sub-specialists are involved at every step to provide the best care possible.
Throughout the evaluation and treatment process, referring physicians are kept informed about patient progress. After a patient’s first office visit, referring physicians will receive a summary that includes the initial diagnosis, pending tests and treatment options.
Refer a Patient
To refer a patient to Mischer Neuroscience Institute for evaluation, click here.
To contact us by phone, please call (713) 704-7100.